History of Cassidy United Methodist
Our church has a rich history beginning with its founding as a Methodist Protestant Church in the Springfield Conference. Reverend J.W. Langston, pastor of the Richwood’s Class started the church and had a membership of 108. The sanctuary was constructed in 1898 and was dedicated on the third Sunday of May 1899.
In 1939 Cassidy Methodist Protestant Church became Cassidy Methodist Church, as the Methodist Protestant Church, Methodist Episcopal North and Methodist Episcopal South merged.
After 55 years, with no major repairs members noted that the floors were badly worn and ready to break through. So on a warm Sunday in July, which was Homecoming day, members discussed plans to renovate. Improvements included lowering the sanctuary ceiling and laying an inclining subfloor with hardwood overlay. Members met night after night, sanding and varnishing floors. It was hard work, but the fun and fellowship was priceless.
In June of 1962 the church had another facelift and some land was donated to the church which brought the total to 2 1/4 acres. In addition to building renovations, new furniture, altar ware, and pews were added. Air conditioning was also added at this time.
In 1965, a well was drilled and water was brought into the building. Several years later, a double wide trailer was purchased and connected to the building with a breezeway, to accommodate a growing Sunday school. In the mist of this growing period, the Methodist Church merged with the Evangelical United Brethren Church in 1968 and Cassidy became Cassidy United Methodist Church.
In 1981 the church go another face lift with a new paint job. Improvements of new carpeting and blinds were added a few years later. In 1998 the double wide trailer, which had deteriorated, was removed.
Almost one hundred years of missions and ministry has brought Cassidy United Methodist Church to May 1999. There is now a sense of renewal and joy as Cassidy moves into the future. The community had begun to change with more people moving into the area. A search was made for additional land, but ultimately in January 2003 the church voted to remain at the present site and to build a new sanctuary and fellowship hall. A capital funds drive was started and in January 2004 constructions began as footings and stem walls were constructed. On June 27, 2004 we held our first worship service in the new sanctuary with 161 persons gathered to worship and celebrate God’s blessings.